Insulated tumblers or as we are used to calling them, ‘Yeti cups’ are an essential part of our outdoor experience.
From going hitchhiking to working for hours on end at the office, having a Yeti cup within your reach is a must. Some of us like drinking that homemade iced tea all day in the heat.
While others just like carrying hot coffee with them anywhere they go. But if you wanted to sip on wine during those boring work seminars or family dinners, Yeti has a Wine Tumbler that has your back.
In the past few months, it seems movement restrictions have gotten more relaxed day by day across continents. As the pandemic slowly becomes more manageable, we can go out more, and it may be time to bring the tumblers and travel mugs out and about.
You’ll soon need hot coffee and cold drinks again. But here’s the issue, your Yeti cups need a good long rinse along with their lids, and you’re confused whether they are dishwasher-safe, whether you can shove a mug inside the microwave, how durable they are, etc.
Let’s dive into the specifics of all things Yeti cups.
So, Are Yeti Cups Dishwasher Safe?
In short, yes, Yeti can go in dishwasher. Although Yeti themselves advised against it in the past and encouraged manually washing them, recently, they have confirmed that all Yeti cups are dishwasher-safe.
Moreover, it was a popular myth in the past that dishwashing Yeti cups would result in irretrievable to their vacuum seals because of the high temperatures involved.
However, that is not the case, thanks to the double-layered vacuum insulation architecture of Yeti products. They are all made with robust 18/8 stainless steel that is very tolerable to high temperatures. Therefore, it is safe to pile up Yeti cups inside your dishwasher without worry.
How about Yeti Lids, Are They Dishwasher Safe?
Yeti maintains that their lids are dishwasher safe as well. The lids and seals are durable enough to go through dishwashing cycles. However, it is perhaps the wiser decision to wash the lids manually.
The rubber gasket that comes with every lid maintains the function of the entire cup, keeping it airtight. Any damage to the rubber gasket may result in malfunctioning drinkware as the whole.
The high temperatures inside a dishwasher may be enough to wear out the rubber gasket, especially after repeated washes. Moreover, washing the ramblers is quite simple whereas, washing the lids requires intricate attention. You need to ensure you’re reaching every nook and corner to clean all the deposits that have built up over time.
If you’re wondering how to clean Yeti cups and their lids without a dishwasher, here’s a detailed guideline to follow:
Washing the Yeti Cup and its Parts
To wash the cup:
- Create a soapy solution of hot water and your regular mild dish soap
- Soak the cup in the mixture and allow the grime to loosen up
- Use a soft sponge to scrub the cup inside out carefully
- Rinse the Yeti cup with clean water and let it air dry
To wash the lid and all its components:
Yeti cups come with different types of lids, and the most popular one is their MagSlider lid. The MagSlider lid consists of the lid itself, the rubber gasket, and the slider. We are going to remove all parts and clean them individually.
- First, disassemble the rubber gasket and the slider-top
- Now, soak all parts in a hot soapy water solution
- Let the grease buildups breakdown
- Use a toothbrush or a scrub to scrub through all the narrow areas carefully
- Rinse with clean water and let them air dry
Can You Put Yeti Cups in the Microwave?
A big and bold NO; microwaving yeti cups is a bad idea because all Yeti drinkware includes mugs, ramblers, jugs, etc., are made from 18/8 stainless steel. As we know, steel, aluminum, and any such conductive metals are prone to radiation and can heat up excessively.
Microwaving Yeti drinkware can result in sparks, smoke, and even break out of flames inside the oven and therefore can cause dangerous accidents.
Besides, why microwave a Yeti cup anyway? These marvels of conductive metal are made to keep things hot or cold inside for hours on end. If you want to enjoy your hot coffee hours later than when you made it, just pour it directly from the kettle and into the Yeti cup and you don’t need a microwave.
What to do about hot coffee when repeated use results in stubborn coffee stains inside the Yeti cup? Let’s find out.
How to Remove Coffee Stains from Yeti Tumbler
Relying on your dishwasher isn’t the best of ideas to clean Yeti cups, especially when it comes to tough stains that need extensive care.
Here are three different ways to clean Yeti drinkware manually to get rid of coffee and tea stains.
Process 1: White Vinegar & Salt
For the Prep:
- White Vinegar
- A soft cloth
- Fill a cup with white vinegar
- Add a tablespoon of salt to the vinegar
- Mix the two in a container
- Pour the cleaning mixture into the Yeti cup
- Use the soft cloth to scrub away all surfaces inside the cup
- Let the mixture breakdown the gunk for some time
- Discard the mixture and fill the cup with clean water
- After the first wash, repeat the cycle again until there are no stains visible
Process 2: Yeti Cleaning Tablets
For the Prep:
- One Yeti Cleaning Tablet
- Warm Water
- Fill the Yeti cup with warm water
- Put the Yeti Cleaning Tablet inside the cup
- Leave it inside for five minutes
- Discard the solution
- Clean the mug with fresh water
- Put the cup inside the dishwasher and run a normal cycle
- Repeat if necessary
Dos & Donts
- Do not shake the Yeti drinkware when the water and tablet solution is inside
- It is recommended that you use two cleaning tablets if your drinkware is over 30 ounces.
Process 3: Baking Soda
For the Prep:
- Baking Soda
- Clean Water
- Soft dishcloth
- Add baking soda to the interior base of the Yeti cup liberally
- Fill the cup with enough water to create a thick paste
- Add more water or baking soda accordingly if the paste isn’t mushy enough
- Use the soft dishcloth or a brush to dress the inside of the Yeti cup with the paste
- Ensure the paste covers all stains by using the dishcloth to scrub thoroughly
- Use clean water to rinse the Yeti mug completely
- Discard the residues and repeat the process if necessary
1. How to get rid of mold in my Yeti cups?
Mold can build up inside the vacuum seals of the drinkware and are not only disgusting to come across but can cause illnesses.
Disassemble the lid parts and soak them in warm water with a Yeti cleaning tablet inside. After five minutes, use a toothbrush to scrub the crevices and clean with warm and soapy water. Air dry after and repeat as necessary.
2. How to prevent mold from growing inside my Yeti cups?
It’s best to regularly wash them in the dishwasher but always handwashing the lids and individual parts to ensure you get to all those nooks that are hard to reach in the dishwasher.
3. Why is my Yeti Lid appearing cloudy?
Too much exposure to sunlight for Yeti cups can result in a cloudy lid. The UV rays damage the plastic when exposed to sunlight repeatedly.
4. How long does a drink stay cold inside a Yeti mug?
Yeti cups can keep drinks cold for over 24 hours, according to Yeti. It is said that it can hold ice out in the sun for 36 hours.
5. What kind of foods can go into a Yeti drinkware?
Yeti drinkware can keep things hot or cold for very long periods and therefore is efficient for carrying warm food. You can have soups or stews, and hot beverages like hot cocoa inside the drinkware quickly.
Now you have a thorough and insightful idea regarding Yeti cups and how to take preventative care. Yeti cups are brilliant tumblers that have provided consistency for years.
With the advent of outdoor activities prospering, it is necessary that you know how to maintain Yeti drinkware. Proper care and awareness of what not to do will let you enjoy Yeti’s brilliance for years.